We all know that divorce is seldom easy. You are forced to make life-changing decisions at a time when you are emotionally vulnerable and drained. Collaborative Law is an alternative process that enables parties the opportunity to work with professionals to create an agreement so that they are able to resolve their differences in a non-adversarial setting.
The collaborative process is sensitive to the long-lasting effects that divorce has on the children, often the silent victims in the divorcing process, and is for couples who want a civilized, respectful end to their marriage for the sake of all family members. The collaborative process can be especially beneficial to families with children who have special needs.
If the following things are important to you, Collaborative Law could be the best process for you:
- You have control of your own divorce process and outcome.
- You seek a civil, respectful, creative and individual process for ending your marriage.
- You recognize the importance of future relationships – even after divorce.
- You believe it is important to protect children from the harm litigation can inflict.
- You have a child with special needs
- You place a premium on avoiding the acrimony and expense of litigation and are comfortable with an agreement which may not reflect either parties’ “best day in court.”
- You place a high value on personal responsibility for handling conflict with integrity
Remember- Yes, a Judge can decide for you. But, you know your family dynamic better than anyone. You are best equipped to decide what is better for you and your children.